- 5 Reasons Why I Don’t Clip Coupons (Kentin Waits | Wisebread)
This article succinctly summarizes my complaint with couponing. I’ve been trying out it out a bit in the past month since signing up to receive weekend delivery of the Oregonian. I’m disappointed to find that I have accumulated a lot more processed food in the pantry that I don’t enjoy eating, simply because a $1 coupon brings it down to ‘reasonable’ cost. My shopping energy has turned toward hunting down the exact type of item the coupon requires (not to mention the coupon sorting energy) and I am no longer as well stocked with fresh and healthy produce.
If you are into couponing, here are two local sites that basically have the exact same content (I can’t figure out who is copying who) and obsess over online and local NW shopping deals and coupon strategy.
“Combine spring cleaning, recycling, and fun – It’s an upscale FREE garage sale! Your outgrown stuff will be loved by someone else, your house will be less cluttered, you’ll find new-to-you items you CAN use…plus, you’ll be helping positive organizations in our community!”
“Clean out your house, garage, and shed of all the STUFF you no longer need want or love, wash it up, make sure all the parts are there and everything is in working order, and bring it to the Spring Stuff Swap!”
- Super Kids Resale Events (Portland: April 12-15, Vancouver May 4-6)
- What I Wish I Had Known When I Started Living Frugally (Kentin Waits | Wisebread)
Some encouragement for those of you starting a debt reduction life plan.
- Financial Records: Keep or Toss? (David L Patrick | Happily Married After)
- Personal Productivity: Nine helpful yet REALISTIC tips (Gretchen Rubin | The Happiness Project)
- SPEND OUT (Gretchen Rubin | The Happiness Project)
- 6 Crucial Job Searching Steps Most People Skip (Julie Rains | Wisebread)
Good basics refresher; As someone who was an Office Manager receiving end, I feel meh about the thank you note followup part and personally think that step is a little on the cheesy / desperate side.
- Balancing Technology (Valerie Plowman | Babywise)
This piece brings up some good points about the balance between technology, life, parenting. We’re thinking a lot about our media consumption and the amount of time we want to spend face-to-face with our son in these upcoming months.